Moving to 11ty

My last entry was all about moving to Metalsmith and a static site generator. Well, Metalsmith, for all its strengths, wasn't a good fit for my little blog. All the plugins necessary for RSS, pagination, twig templates, and more made a simple SSG build script needlessly complex.

I ran across 11ty in my search for a simpler SSG. I did have some challenges in the implementation here. The biggest was that the permalinks on my 1800 blog entries all needed a trailing slash to work properly in 11ty. Titles also couldn't contain special characters unless they were wrapped in quotes.

Some simple regex find/replace got these errors resolved and the build working properly.

The blog is still ugly but I can make it pretty in future releases.

← Home